Sunday, February 12, 2012

Art journal #142: M+ West Kln Bamboo Theatre

I heard many sceptics about this inauguration show, and yes the onsite 'exhibition' was horrifying (not much of an exhibition really), and I didnt have much of a liking to Cantonese operas (slightly apologetic about the bashing as I am Cantonese, but I watched for 20mins and left; its nothing like the far more refined Kun Qu).

But I thought M+ striked the right emotional chord with the local community, as evident from the wide reporting of the show in mass media. Making HK people feel art at M+ is going to be accessible is quite important in the highly politicised project. If nothing else, the bamboo theatre structure was interesting, Michael Wolf photos of famous Chn opera performers I thought were fantastic (though some judged them to be 'not art'), and, its better for M+ to have started than not!

The forever debate - low brow art, and art for the people?!

No comments: